5 Ways to Boost Your Productivity at Work
Distractions seem endless at work, whether it’s the chatter of co-workers or the lure of social media or messages on our cellphones. There may be some days where you feel like you got nothing done because of a lack of focus or organization. However, these quick tips on increasing your productivity at work can lead to a more focused and successful work day.
- Plan Breaks. Although taking breaks may seem counterproductive, it can actually help maintain focus and get more done without feeling overwhelmed. Studies have shown that taking breaks during the long work day can help increase productivity and creativity. After concentrating on a project for fifteen minutes, take five more minutes to just sit, relax and take a deep breath. Use this time to reward your brain for its concentration and hard work.
- Make a To Do List. As soon as you get to the office, make a list of tasks and assignments you want to accomplish by the end of the day. Make sure you prioritize your list in order to get the most important things done ASAP. Checking off items will help you feel productive and motivate you to keep going down the list.
- Use the Two-Minute Rule. Entrepreneur Steve Olenski suggests that if you have any responsibilities that can be taken care of in two minutes or less, tackle them right away. By getting these tasks over with, you can leave time for bigger, more time consuming projects without concerning yourself with other, tedious duties. There is no use in getting bogged down with menial tasks when bigger projects your need attention.
- Spruce Up Your Work Space. A pretty desk makes for exceptional work. An aesthetically pleasing work environment can increase productivity by 15 percent. By simply adding plants or framed family photos, you will not only help your desk look better, but you will also make your work better. However, don’t go overboard. Aim for homey, not distracting.
- Stop Multitasking. While the desire to multitask during a busy day may seem tempting, it may actually be lowering your productivity. By placing all your focus on the singular task at hand, you will be able to complete it with satisfaction instead of compromising your attention.
These tips may seem pretty simple, but they will have rippling positive effects on your work quality and productivity. Try out some of these tips and discover which strategies work for you!